Unseen Passage with Multiple Choice Questions is the new pattern for classes 9-12. So, students of all the classes must practise unseen passages beforehand to score good marks in language subjects. For class 10th unseen passages carry 20 marks. More Solved Discursive Passages can be reached here.
We have provided our readers with many English unseen passages with MCQ for free. These reading comprehensions have been taken from various important sources. Answers are given at the end of the page. Feel free to ask any doubt. You can reach more unseen passages with a detailed Hindi explanation on our Youtube Channel – Homework Help By RG.
Unseen Passage with Multiple Choice Questions for 2022 | Discursive Passage with MCQ Class 9-12
Read the passage given below.
(1) Have you ever failed at something so miserably that the thought of attempting to do it again was the last thing on your mind?
(2) If your answer is yes, then you should understand that you are not a robot. Unlike robots, we human beings have feelings, emotions, and dreams. We are all meant to grow despite our circumstances and limitations. Flourishing and trying to make our dreams come true feels great when life goes our way. But what happens when it does not? What happens when you fail despite all your hard work? Do you stay down and accept defeat or do you get up again? If you tend to persevere and keep going, you have what experts call ‘grit’.
(3) Falling down or failing is one of the most agonising, embarrassing, and scary human experiences. But it is also one of the most educational, empowering, and essential parts of living a successful and fulfilling life. Did you know that perseverance (grit) is one of the seven qualities that has been described as the key to personal success and betterment in society? The other six are curiosity, gratitude, optimism, self-control, social intelligence, and zest. Thomas Edison is an example of grit for trying more than 1,000 times to invent the light bulb. If you are reading this with the lights on in your room, you will realise the importance of his success. When asked why he kept going despite hundreds of failures, he merely stated that they had not been failures, they were hundreds of attempts towards creating the light bulb. This statement not only revealed his grit but also his optimism for looking at the bright side.
(4) Grit can be learnt to help you become more successful. One of the techniques that help is mindfulness. Mindfulness is a practice that makes an individual stay at the moment by bringing awareness of his or her experience without judgement. This practice has been used to quieten the noise of fears and doubts. Through this simple practice of mindfulness, individuals have the ability to stop the self-sabotaging downward spiral of hopelessness, despair, and frustration.
(5) What did you do to overcome the negative and self-sabotaging feelings of failure? Reflect on what you did, and try to use those same powerful resources to help you today.
Source: Class 10 Educart 2021 Sample Paper 8
On the basis of your understanding of the passage, answer any ten questions from the twelve that follow: 1 × 10 = 10
(A) The reason why you are not a robot is that:
(a) You fail miserably at tasks
(b) Failure and success can affect your emotions
(c) You work hard
(d) You have limitations
(B) Choose the option that best captures the central idea of the passage from the given quotes.
“What is the point of being alive if you don’t at least try to do something remarkable?”—John Green
“Mistakes are the portals of discovery.”—James Joyce
“Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end.”—Denis Waitley
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.”—Albert Einstein
(a) Option (1)
(b) Option (2)
(c) Option (3)
(d) Option (4)
(C) What is the tone of the following context: “Falling down or failing is one of the most… educational, empowering, and essential parts of living a successful and fulfilling life.”?
(D) Which of the following is relevant for the title of the passage.
(a) Dreams Always Come True
(b) Failure and Grit Go Hand in Hand
(c) Humans vs Robots
(d) Falling Down and Getting Up
(E) ……………… was created after many attempts.
(b) light bulb
(d) tube light
(F) Which of the following sentences makes the correct use of “grit”, as used in the passage?
(a) Get rid of that grit in your shoes.
(b) She had a bit of grit in her eye.
(c) The road had been covered with grit.
(d) Her grit never made her give up.
(G) To develop perseverance one must:
(a) become more aware
(b) work hard
(c) be in the moment and be aware without judgement
(d) seek guidance
(H) How does mindfulness help?
(a) It creates awareness
(b) It quietens the noise of fears and doubts
(c) It helps one become successful
(d) It helps develop focus
(I) What do you understand from this line, “Falling down or failing is one of the most agonising, embarrassing, and scary human experiences.”?
(a) Falling down makes us angry.
(b) Failure can deeply affect our emotions
(c) Stay positive and be optimistic
(d) Self-control is empowering
(J) Choose the option that correctly states the meaning of ‘social intelligence’ as implied in the passage:
(a) Knowing others
(b) Knowing oneself and others
(c) Knowing oneself
(d) Knowing one’s surroundings
(K) The importance of perseverance and optimism for a successful and fulfilling life is explained using the example of?
(a) Thomas Edison
(L) What is the message conveyed in the last paragraph of the passage?
(a) Always aim for the best
(b) Live life king size
(c) Through mindfulness we can overcome the negative impact of failure
(d) Social intelligence is crucial for a successful life
Unseen Passage with MCQ Answer Key
A – (b)
B – (c)
C – (b)
D – (d)
E – (b)
F – (d)
G – (c)
H – (b)
I – (b)
J – (b)
K – (a)
L – (c)
Improve English Writing
How Children Consume Caffeine Unseen Passage Answer Key
Who Doesn’t Know How to Cook rice Answer Key
Unseen Passage for Class 9-12 | All about CHESS
Education in the Republic of India | Unseen Passage Answers
Unseen Passage for Class 12 with Answers (CBSE)
Educart Free Sample Paper 2021- Vultures Passage
Letter Writing Examples for 2022 Class 9-12
CBSE Question Bank Exclusive Answers of First Flight
Unique Rakhi Gifts for Brothers in 2021
नेपोटिज्म क्या है, Nepotism in Hindi