The sole motive of writing this article is to help students in their school project- ‘Malpractices during Online Assessment’. Should Students resort to academic dishonesty just to get high grades? Students are warned not to use any tips and tricks for cheating. Otherwise, their paper might stand cancelled.
As there are ways to discourage cheating in offline schools, teachers along with computer programmers have devised new and creative ideas to restrict cheating in online exams too. We will discuss them one by one.
Malpractices during Online Assessment Essay | Demerits of Online Exams
The main purpose of education is to help students to learn. Assessments or grades show how fully this objective is achieved. Therefore, all grades or marks in exams should result from the genuine efforts of the students. To maintain educational integrity schools or academic Institutions ensure that students do not involve in cheating or plagiarism.
Due to the commencement of online classes and subsequent online exams students have come up with various malpractices during online exams. They indulge in unfair and unaccepted ways to score more marks without actually learning their lessons. The lack of in-person supervision has made it easier for students to cheat during online exams.
Various ways of cheating in online exams:
let’s discuss various innovative cheating methods employed by students during online exams. Simultaneously teachers, too, have come up with even more innovative ideas to catch the defaulting students red-handed. So for every cheating trick of students, we will also discuss the solution available to the teachers to combat this dishonesty.
Ways to restrict academic dishonesty in online exams
- Searching from Google on another tab– Children are well aware of the power of google. They will definitely try to find the answers for unprepared questions on any search engine. But, various software has been devised which restrict opening a new window. Violation may result in locking of the paper.
2. Directly copying from the book– To discourage this way of cheating students are strictly instructed to keep their webcam on during exam time and movement is prohibited until the exam gets over.
3. Seek assistance by screen sharing– Online classes taught children to share their screens for better understanding. But, this feature is equally capable to allow cheating. However, our smart programmers have designed such software which reduces the document viewing area to discourage screenshots.
4. Certain software- for example, any desk, is available that can take control of a student’s computer remotely to do the exam on his behalf. This software was developed for Ethical hacking. But, every coin has two sides.
5. We are living in the 21st century where children, especially teenagers, proudly own high tech devices. These devices can be employed for cheating in online exams. Micro powered Bluetooth earbuds, invisible smartwatches are undetectable by webcam.
6. Various mobile apps like TOPPR, Brainly, Quora are available to get real person help within minutes. Dishonest candidates can take undue benefit of these answers.
7. Taking the help of furniture -At first, it may sound funny to you but one student mentioned the support of a younger brother who was whispering answers while hiding behind the window blinds. But it may get caught by high-quality audio detection. So, cheaters don’t try to imitate.
8. Last, but not least, traditional ways of cheating by jotting down maths formulas on the palm or tape the notes to computer monitors are to stay till eternity.
9. To keep a check on younger students, teachers can take parents in confidence and assign responsibility to invigilate their wards. Honesty and truthfulness can be expected from adult students.
A number of impressive technologies have been developed to fully monitor students using tools such as webcams, facial recognition software, and typing pattern authenticity.
Coursera, a leading online university, keeps an eye on the rate and rhythms used while typing to monitor online cheating. Institutes have an option to use proctoring software with features such as automated monitoring, ID verification, and computer lockdown. But this might include high cost and technical complexities.
Conclusion: Should students resort to academic dishonesty?
It’s truly unfortunate that the system is set up in a way that kids work for grades as if the grades actually meant something. Students must not cheat to get high grades to please their teachers, family, friends and of course themselves. Low marks mean the work is harder and your grades reflect how much work you put into learning. Set your goal for internal growth. See your grades as a reflection of what you know. Boost your knowledge to boost marks.