Students of classes 9-12 can practise this unseen passage with multiple choice questions for their final exams. The MCQs of unseen passage is carefully written according to CBSE Term 1 exam for class 10 and class 12. Answer key for chess unseen passage can be found at the bottom of the page.
MCQ Based Unseen Passage for Class 9-12 | Unseen Passage with Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chess is called the game of kings. It has been around for a long time. People have been playing it for over 500 years. Chess is based on an even older game from India. The chess we play today is from Europe.
2. Chess is a two-player game. One player uses the white pieces while the other uses the black pieces. Each piece moves in a special way. One piece is called the king. Each player has one. The players take turns moving their pieces. If a player lands on a piece, he or she takes it. The game ends when a player loses his or her king. There are a few more rules, but these are the basics.
3. Some people think that chess is more than a game. They think that it makes the mind stronger. Good chess players use their brains. They take their time. They think about what will happen next. These skills are useful in life and in chess. Chess is kind of a workout for the mind.
4. You don’t always have lots of time to think when playing chess. There is a type of chess with short time limits. It’s called blitz chess. In blitz chess, each player gets ten minutes to use for the whole game. Your clock runs during your turn. You hit the time clock after your move. This stops your clock. It also starts the other player’s clock. If you run out of time, you lose. Games of blitz chess are fast-paced.
5. Chess is not just for people. Computers have been playing chess since the 1970s. At first, they did not play well. They made mistakes. As time went on they grew stronger. In 1997, a computer beat the best player in the world for the first time. It was a computer called Deep Blue. Deep Blue was big. It took up a whole room. By 2006 a cell phone could beat the best players in the world. Chess sure has come a long way. Don’t you think so?
Unseen Passage with Multiple-Choice Questions | MCQ Based Reading Comprehension Passage
On the basis of your understanding of the above passage, answer ANY TEN questions from the ELEVEN given below. (1×10 = 10).
i. What is the author’s purpose in writing the second paragraph?
a. To explain the rules of chess
b. To compare different types of games
c. To talk about game pieces
d. To persuade people to play chess
ii. Which is not a reason that chess is a good workout for the mind according to the text?
a. Good chess players think about what will happen next.
b. Good chess players take a lot of risks.
c. Good chess players take their time.
d. Good chess players use their brains.
iii. How long have people been playing chess?
a. Over 100 years
b. Over 500 years
c. Over 1000 years
d. Over 5000 years
iv. Where did the game that chess is based on come from?
d. All of these
v. Which best describes the main idea in the fourth paragraph?
a. This paragraph argues that players should think less.
b. This paragraph explains how blitz chess is played.
c. This paragraph explains how time clocks work.
d. This paragraph describes many different ways to play chess.
vi. How does a game of chess end according to the text?
a. One player takes all of the other player’s pieces.
b. One player makes it to the end of the board.
c. One player becomes king.
d. One player loses his or her king.
vii. Which happened first?
a. Computers did not play chess well
b. Deep Blue won an important game.
c. Cell phones got good at playing chess.
d. Deep Blue took up a whole room.
viii. How is blitz chess different from regular chess?
a. Each player has two kings.
b. Players are blindfolded.
c. Players only have ten minutes to play.
d. Players start from a random position.
ix. If it’s your turn in blitz chess, what happens when you hit the clock?
a. Both your clock and the other person’s clock keep running
b. The other person’s clock stops running and yours starts.
c. Both clocks stop running.
d. Your clock stops running and the other person’s clock begins.
x. When did a computer first beat a strong human player in chess?
xi. What is the meaning of the word “Blitz”?
a. a sudden effort or attack on somebody/something
b. to dive fast
c. very happy
Answer Key MCQ based Unseen Passage on Chess –
(i) a (ii]b [iii]b [iv]b [v]b [vi]d [vii]a [viii]c [ix]d [x]b [xi]a
More MCQ based Reading Comprehension Passage
CBSE Sample Paper 2021 Class 12 (Answers and Hints)
Unseen Passage with Multiple Choice Question -How to Cook Rice
Letter to the Editor for senior citizens badly neglected
Letter to Editor to take action against Female Foeticide